Magdalena is located at 114 miles north of Hermosillo, capital of the State
of Sonora and there are only 55 miles to the border with USA. Originally it was an
settlement, describe by the Spanish explorer Francisco Vazquez de Coronado as a
small agricultural village with no more than 300 inhabitants in the year of 1541.
Jesuit missioner Eusebio
Francisco Kino founds in 1688 the mission of Santa María de Magdalena de
Buquivaba. Habitated by Pimas, the missioners taught them to work with clay
and to make "adobes" for their houses, work and carve wood and to plant frutal
trees such us membrillos, granates and peaches.
attractions are: Santa María
Magdalena church were an image of San Francisco Javier is venerated, father
Kino's mausoleum who died in 1711, the Monumental Plaza where Kino rests.
the Casa de Cultura and father Kino's museum.
The region celebrates
in may the Festival Cultural Kino and the Fiestas de San Isidro. In
the Fiestas de San Ignacio, in august San Lorenzo and San Ramón
festivities and from September 28 to October 7 the San Francisco's fiestas.
Take International Highway #15:
of Nogales or
miles north of Santa